Monday, March 8, 2010

pinecone garland

Directions via Twig & Thistle

Nothing beats decorating with Mother Nature...for free (minus the expenses for ribbon and such). Plus, this is rather simple...and very lovely.

If I had more "gusto" I would probably consider making this for the aisle decoration...to spruce up the simple folding chairs on the deck. But I know that I'm not adding any more projects to the list. And I actually only have a couple "projects" on the list anyway.

I've run into that point where I can appreciate pretty and whimsical diy details...but am in no way swayed to create them for our shin-dig. I think that's called, "growing."


What You’ll Need:
Pine Cones
Ribbon
Screw Hooks
Hole Punch
Scissors

Instructions:
1. Begin by measuring your mantel or space that you’d like to hang your garland and cut your ribbon. Remember to leave extra for hanging. Once you’ve determined the length, space your pine cones out as you like on a flat surface. The pine cones I used were fairly large so I kept about 4 inches between each one. On the back of the ribbon discreetly mark where each pine cone will go, then punch a hole with a small craft punch. I used an 1/8″ round circle punch like this one.

2. Once you know how many pine cones you’ll need, screw in one screw hook into the top of each pine cone. This takes a little practice and you may need a little elbow grease but once you get the hang of it it goes pretty quickly.

3. Poke each hook through the hole you’ve made in the ribbon and hang! Easy as pie and something that will last for seasons to come!

8 comments:

  1. haha - you ARE growing! ;)

    my mom used to make pinecone wreaths - so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the look of these. We may be able to try this out, there are plenty of pine cones in Tahoe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree this is called "growing". Lovely details!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, you could always do that project for Christmas. Anyway, your guests already have something to look at - a lovely bride and groom against a backdrop of astounding scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I hit that phase a long time ago seeing as I suck at DIY, this was easy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oooh love the pinecones! this would be fun to make!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, yes, yes. Love the garland.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails