Monday, August 20, 2012

baby sunscreen advice

at the splash pad down the road...she LOVES this place

First of all...I am posting this so YOU don't make the same mistake I did. 

READ the labels of BABY SUNSCREEN.  I didn't.  I just slathered my pretty little 3 month up with the stuff when we hit up the beach for the first time last summer.  It wasn't until later than night when I read the sunscreen label...and it said NOT to use on babies under the age of 6 months without a doctors permission.  Ummm.  My husband and I could have seriously poisoned our child.  I asked our pediatrician about it and he said that the are ingredients in sunscreen that get absorbed into the skin and can cross into a baby's developing brain.  DEAR GOD.  Needless to say we stayed inside for the rest of the summer....and I still shudder with guilt and my stupidity. 

we dress Clara in spf swimsuits with sleeves and a swim diaper...and a big hat.
 The next lil pearl of wisdom is to select sunscreen for babies or children that expressly says it is a NO TEARS formulation.  This wasn't something that I discovered on my own...but a couple different moms have told me that.  Some sunscreens can burn like the dickens when they get washed off with soap in the bathtub.  And there are some sunscreens that aren't waterproof...and a small splash of water can cause the stuff to slide down your little one's face into their eyes.  Yikes, right?  

I've sported the traditional mom swimsuit for 15 years or so...a one piece black number. Ha.


5 comments:

  1. There are chemical sunscreens and physical sunscreens.

    The physical sunscreens (sunblocks) should be a lot safer because they block the sun without chemicals. Look for Titanium Dioxide or Zinc Oxide.

    http://www.skinacea.com/sunscreen/physical-vs-chemical-sunscreen.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the California Baby line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like Super Salve. (www.supersalve.com) I live in Flagstaff and (I'm pretty sure) it was developed by Grand Canyon river guides using all natural, edible products. They have baby products, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. she is so sweet! :X love the first picture

    ReplyDelete
  5. so what sunscreen should we use?! I am worried about my sweet babe's lil legs sticking out of the stroller on our walks.... hmmm. great post! i had no idea. shame on us healthcare workers.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails