Wednesday, September 23, 2009

the power of my ring

me and my sweetie in a Flagstaff meadow - Sarah Neal Photography

I all but agonized over the whole "engagement" ring thing. I rationalized with My Guy that such a tradition was not my scene, that a ring wasn't necessary for me to feel loved and special. I attempted to convince him that spending money on something like an engagement ring was somewhat silly and completely irrelevant for our engagement to begin. And, I was being serious.

Yet, here I am in Massachusetts. Over 3000 miles away from him. I can't even tell you how many times a day I glance down at my hand, take in the sparkle of that gleaming row of diamonds, and smile. When I start to get flustered, feel lonely, or need encouragement, I give it a lil gaze...and suddenly, miraculously, my heart is calmed and I can breathe. It reasures me that even though life (and med school) is hard and sometimes painful, at the end of the day, love is all you need.

This engagement ring holds within its glitter all of the promises of our future life together. It may be metal and polished rocks, but it reminds me that I am cherished, and not alone. It takes me to that day where he asked me and I said "yes." It reminds me of our laughter together - our sweet quiet moments - and those enthusiastic celebrations we share.

My engagement ring comforts me. And I am beyond grateful for that.

I miss him.

2 comments:

  1. awesome story - I look at my ring and think back at the moment my husband proposed and all the wonderful memories since then!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that is so sweet. Long distance does suck (we did 8000 miles at one point, ouch).
    It is just a ring, but it is a promise, a memory and a beginning.

    I loved that our priest said our wedding ring was worn as an outward sign of an inward truth. Sigh, being married rocks.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails