Thursday, September 30, 2010

living with anemia

Well, got a phone call from my doctor's office today.  The results of those $600 blood labs came in from last week  - turns out I'm crazy anemic.  My H&H (or hemoglobin & hematocrit) levels are toooooo low for only being 15 weeks pregnant...like SCARY low (like if I was my own patient in the hospital I would probably consider giving myself a transfusion!).  Except, I'm not sick, nor am I in the hospital....so it's really nothing to  freak out over...I just have to take Iron supplements a couple times a day now.  Easy fix.

This explains my incredible exhaustion.  Pregnancy is suppose to make you tired anyway...and well...residency is one heck of a tiring experience in itself...so I just thought I was being silly and I just needed to perk myself up.  Turns out my extreme fatigue wasn't imagined...it's in my blood.  Ha!

Oh pregnancy...you are soooo silly.

6 comments:

  1. I never give myself credit for being tired. Take care of yourself! I hope you get a chance to rest this weekend, at least a little bit. Some ice cream and cheesy movies/ bad TV might be in order.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy. Please take care of yourself. And be nice to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And eat some iron-rich foods.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take those supplements annnddd maybe help yourself to an iron rich lean and delicious steak...I'm just sayin' :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. take B12 too! sometimes iron deficiencies are caused by b12 deficiencies... and it will help the iron to be better absorbed, so you're not wasting your $$$ on iron supplements just to pee out 80% of the iron.....doctor's rarely inform you of this, so I just thought I'd throw it out there:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pregnancy is definitely crazy.

    When my little sister got pregnant, she would call me periodically to ask, "Is it normal if...?"

    My answer was often, "Anything is normal when you're pregnant!" ;)

    stephanie@metropolitanmama.net

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails