Thursday, January 3, 2013
I used to set out to change my body, attitude, and life every New Years. I would set lofty goals of "perfecting" myself. Inevitably, I would fail...I wouldn't exercise, or I would botch my diet, I'd crumble and throw in the towel and think of myself as pretty worthless (which is so silly.)
Fortunately, in recent years, I have developed a softer approach to the whole "New Years Resolution" scene. My wish list for this year isn't strict or setting myself up for failure, but I do hope to grow as a person.
1. Be gentle with myself - appreciate my own strengths and contributions
2. Be gentle with my family - I love them most.
3. Seek out the good in people - it can be so easy to have a hardened heart sometimes
4. Protect the time I have with my children
5. Don't overextend myself with obligations I am not passionate about
6. Rediscover the interests that I have put on hold...when I am ready
7. Be present
8. Pray more - maybe go to church again...maybe not
9. Slow down - it's not a race.
10. Live simply
11. Embrace my emotions - I will not regret tears, sadness or disappointment..they are part of life, just as happiness, joy and excitement
12. Be mindful of how I nourish my body, and my family's bodies
13. Do my best.
I think I can live up to many of those ideas. I hope 2013 brings you ooodles of happiness and joy. I am confident that the adventures awaiting my family and I will be a beautiful ride! We have so much to look forward to. New baby boy! New jobs! New state! New home! New beginning!