Tuesday, September 27, 2011
It's only 3 months until Christmas. Did I already bust out the news that I will be going BACK HOME for Christmas this year? I must have...it's the biggest news besides Clara learning to crawl :-)
Except, I have a couple "help me's" to throw out into the blog-o-sphere about the gift giving portion of the holidays this year. It's September...nearly October...and I have no gifts purchased. This is the first time in practically my whole life that this has happened to me. Usually I pick up treasures here and there allllll year long for my loves...but this year has been a lil hectic. And...well...there really isn't any "letting up" in that schedule until I'm on that plane headed for the desert!
Not only is "time" a factor in my Christmas shopping...or lack thereof...but so is $$$. Ugh. I so wish I had serious cash to buy the RADDEST stuff for my family and friends. But it's just not in the cards this year. Last year we made applesauce - which was great fun and fairly economical (until it came to shipping it...that was just stupid...we clearly should have sent something else in the mail.) But the applesauce was a hit with our New England family...and I hope to do something like that again....perhaps this year we will zest it up with something exciting like...umm...cranberries?
Any ideas for hand crafting gifts that are nice, appreciated and don't weigh as much as a bowling ball (I swore last year I wasn't going to ship anything ever again...but if I am smart about it I won't be a Grinch this year.)
Ideas I had:
- embroidering napkins (we only use cloth napkins around here anymore...love them!)
- picture frames with Clara's cute mug (obviously, only close family would appreciate something like that...umm...maybe even only Grandparents?)
- homemade toffee (nope, I never made this...but one of my co-workers swears he makes the best toffee in the world and he promised to show me how - hummm....is toffee expensive to make?)
- subscriptions to magazines (I think this could potentially be cool - what do you think??
- *frown* I am already out of ideas
Any tips, hints or suggestions??