Monday, April 30, 2012
if you could live anywhere?
My third, and final year, of residency is approaching fast. My chief residents are about to graduate...and jobs/contracts/locations/licenses/taxes/scope of practice are the topics of discussion around every lunch table and break room lounge.
The biggest topic....where to live. If you could live somewhere, anywhere, where would it be? We talk in circles about moving for good jobs, or good locations, or to be near family? We all have our own dream destinations and dream job ideals. I wonder where we will all end up.
Things I "dream" about...(but in no way expect or demand these things of our next "home")
- waking up with a glorious mountain view out my windows...(but I would go for being surrounded/nearby/quick drive away from beautiful nature... ie: mountains, trees, flowers, splendor)
- family friendly stuff to do (parks, children's programs/activities, sporting events etc.)
- cultural activities to keep our minds engaged in our world (museums, live theater, festivals etc.)
- flexible job...obviously (this component has a huge dream list all on its own)
- employment opportunities for BOTH of us - this is a given...we will move where we can both pursue our professional dreams (Tommy is a teacher...a tricky field for jobs these days.)
- close to family and/or friends (doesn't have to be down the road...but at least within a couple hours!)
Where would you live?